Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Move-in Day

We moved uncommon son #2 into his dorm room today. I'm not really sure how I feel about that.

I thought it would be no big deal since I did this five years ago with uncommon son #1. It's a different school, which is farther from home. The drive to Lubbock makes the drive to Abilene seem like a short commute. He has some health concerns that I wish he didn't have to worry about while he's being all collegiate. He wants to have a degree that requires 7 years of college. All that adds up to more apprehension than I was expecting.

He's also got a definite plan and is where he wants to be. He seems pretty well adjusted to the idea of us leaving him tomorrow. His roommate has been a friend of his since birth. (That may or may not be a good thing. I hope the friendship survives such close quarters.) His adviser at college followed the exact same degree plan as he is pursuing. But there's still a small tugging at my heart.

I guess it doesn't matter how many times you take your kids to college. Their still your kids and it's still a big change.

No comments: